The influence to my CD design will be aimed at alternate/punk rock music. It will have an 80’s 3D look (Blue and Red) with modern graphics overlaid and typography.
I have bought old 80’s toys from op shops such as Barbie, Army men, Ken etc and I have “Altered” them and have taken the photos for the album. I will photoshop the photo’s, and include extra graphics and type.
It will be a self named album and song names and be placed in a red plastic CD case to enhance the 3D feel of the design. I have included some photos I have taken and worked with so far…. (Early Stages)
10 Reasons why Stefan Sagmeister Loves CD packaging By we-love-print.com
Stefan Sagmeister is an Austrian Graphic Designer and Typographer. He is most-recognised for designing album covers for Lou Reed, OK Go, The Rolling Stones, David Byrne, Aerosmith and Pat Metheny.
1. Music is my other big interest in life. Its more interesting to go to meetings with Lou Reed and David Byrne than spending my time with marketing managers.
2. CD covers normally don’t get thrown away.
3. Many CD’s are distributed internationally and printed in large quantities.
4. I am very tall, so I love working on something very small.
5. I used to be in a really bad band (and I was its worst member). Later on (at 25) I was in a better band and good enough to realize that I better make a decision between music and design. Went for design. Still love music
6. Warner always lets us total free reign (if the artist likes the cover)
7. Recording artists do not have a set idea of what they want even before we receive a brief. We are not good as executioners of somebody elses ideas. David Byrne excepted.
8. Bands who come to us normally already rejected the labels in-house design group. So they or their management seeked us out specifically. Many times they are open.
9. We listen to the music of the band a lot while designing.
10. I prefer cardboard packaging (rather than plastic) because it ages much more beautifully.
My Musician: A female acoustic guitar player – An earthy, natural, mother, artist, musician.
Music: Earthy, soulful, Zen-like quality to the music and vocals.
Art Work: Tropical Balinese Zen-like feel to the art work reflecting the artist’s interests. The cover will project the calm, soulful music within. Natural backgrounds used of photographs of tropical gardens with soft photography of the artist overlayed.
CD Cover: Will be a slip case with two pockets, one for the CD and one for the booklet on the artist.
Booklet: Will continue the tropical theme with information about the songs, the artist and photographs of the artist and her life
IS TO CREATE A GRUNGE LOOKING ALBUM COVER.
I HAVE CHOSEN THIS ERA AS IN GENERAL THE ALBUM
COVERS OF THAT TIME HAVE NO REAL STYLE OTHER
THAN BEING A VISUAL ART PIECE . COMPARED TO
OTHER BEND ERA’S LIKE PUNK, REGGAE, HIP HOP ETC.
THERE SEEMS TO BE KNOW REAL THEME TO FOLLOW
OTHER THAN HAVING AN UNDER LYING MESSAGE
POSSIBLE ABOUT HUMANITY, INHUMANITY OR A
ONE WORLD UNITY.
I HAVE INCLUDED A FEW IMAGES FROM SOME OF THE
MOST POPULAR GRUNGE BANDS AND I BELIEVE THERE
IS VERY LITTLE CONNECTION BETWEEN THESE AT FIRST
MY CD COVER WILL BE A DOUBLE SLEEVE AND ONE SLEEVE
WILL BE FOR THE CD AND THE OTHER THE 8 PAGE BOOKLET.
THE SLEEVE WILL BE MADE FROM AN ECO FRIENDLY TYPE CARD
WITH BRIGHT COLOURS PRINTED ON IT.
Big passion of mine regarding music is reggae. This music infuses me warmth and in the same time gives me a sense of energy through the rhythmic.
Artists as Desmond Dekker, Max Romeo, Alborosie, Junior Kelly, and Bob Andy are my favorite ones.
My cover will be an eight pages booklet in plastic, the main colours, green, yellow and red that are the ones of the Ethiopian flag.
Name of the compilation, not decided yet but I’ve decided the name of the label: Connection Records. The booklet inside will be a combination of lyrics and images.
Hardstyle ( hard-stylé ) is an electro genre mixing influences from hardtechno, hard house, hard trance, hardcore and rave music. Originating in the Netherlands ,†hardstyle music didnt reach australain shores till early 2003. But has been welcomed with open arms and austalia has produced some of the biggest hardstyle names to date.
My Cd cover will be an australian hardstyle themed cd, Generically European hardstyle cd’s opt for a industrial, cyber, gothic look often involving blood, gore and metal. Which are niches that are generally related to the industry.
Australian hardstyle imagery however follows the trend of happy hardcore which was adapted from more hippy alternate outdoor rave lifestyle (how australian ;). Where everything is about the P.L.U.R (peace,love,unity,respect). Hardstyle itself has many different sub-styles within the australian music scene a favorite of mine being Briscore a brisbane based hardstyle label that is one of the producers of my favorite artist s3rl.use mare kandi raver imagry (amime characters, pun’s of classic art, and photoshoped images from live events).
As for the case itself , if anyone has ever seen the Xavier Rudd album- white moth, that is the type of album cover i want to achieve a quite organic looking plain brown cover with two simple folds for the booklet and the cd. Representing the more organic approach to hardstyle in australia. Think anime raver girl for the cover art with a wicked font .
For the colour pallet i really like Powderfingers album vulture street It uses alot of black but the few colours that it does use really make it pop.